The Bicycle Gets Some Love

I just finished my first bicycle maintenance job in years. My goal was to replace my handlebar tape, shift cables and housing as well as brake cables and housing.

The end result was awesome and I am super stoked I was able to do it. I figure I prolly save $120 or so in labor doing it myself. #hooray. 

The biggest challenge was ultimately not having the right tools and accidentally cutting the brake housing too short. But for the most part I just looked as how it was done before, and copied it. Nevertheless, once I got some proper cable cutters, it was a lot easier.

I replaced the cables one at a time left side then right so I always had a reference to how they were supposed to run around the handlebars and the front of the bike. 

  • Front Brake cable: cut it too short the first time, had to get another cable. Learned that I should measure the length of the housing with the brake calipers closed, not open. 
  • Front Shift cable: no issues here, cut housing to match the length of the ones I removed.
  • Rear Brake cable: again no issues, by now I was getting the hang of it and my cable cutter was making the job easy. 
  • Read Shift cable: like butter.
  • Re wrapped the handle bars. I watched a couple you tube video on how to do this since I forgot how they were wrapped then i remove the old tape. 

I watched youtube videos on how to wrap the handlebar tape as well as how to get the shift and break cable out of the shifters. Turns out its not hard and the design of the shifters is pretty cool. Proof anyone can do some routine bike maintenance… if they really want to. 

All in all, a very fun and rewarding project. 

Giving the Bike Some Love

I realized a couple weeks ago, I have had my bicycle for a few years now and have not done any maintenance on it… at all. 

So I decided to take on the task of replacing my brake and shifter cable and housing. I changed it up and bought white cable housing instead of the old boring black I have before. 

New SRAM gear.

It turns out, its a bit harder than I thought. The kits come with EXACTLY enough cable housing… so don’t mis-measure. Well, I did. I cut the front brake housing too short. Nevertheless, I had to order another kit. Thankfully they are not real expensive. 

Another interesting note. I thought a sharp pair of dikes would cut the housing easy enough. I was wrong. It did cut through it but its not pretty at all. 

I will update as soon as I get farther along in the project… but so far off to a humbling start.